Monday, December 10, 2012

Sometimes, I'm Wrong.

I was wrong.  Don't gasp!  It happens.  A lot.

I said that I would never let my kids be involved with the local Jr. Derby league.  At some point in the past, there was a falling out with me and a coach I had.  It wasn't that I didn't learn a lot, I totally did.  It wasn't that we didn't get a long.  It was just a couple particular incidents that were compounded with a particular individual.  Based on that, I said that I would never allow it.

Then, I saw the league playing at a scrimmage.  I saw these girls playing their hearts out.  I saw the adults treating the kids with dignity and respect and pride.  And I realized that I was wrong.

For some reason a few weeks prior, I had decided that life was too short to spend your time going to events and feeling uncomfortable around people who were there.  People who had stuff in common with you.  So out of the blue, I took a chance and put it out there, that I was willing to get a long.  The really awesome part of this story, is that they made it really easy.   I don't know that I would have been so gracious had it been me.  I'd like to think I would.  It wasn't until after I decided to do this, that I saw the Darlings of Destruction play. 

Impressed. 

I was pondering all of this one day, and a wise derby girl said to me, "they've grown, we all have."  She was right.  I am really thankful that bygones can be bygones.  I am really happy that my family is welcome.  I am really happy that I got some friends back.  And I am making new ones. 

I'm glad I was wrong.  And I am sorry that I couldn't see what was so obvious now.  It was never about us. 

I just wanted to write this all down, because I am so grateful. 

Call this my after practice, derby high.

XOXO

Anja

No comments:

Post a Comment