Monday, August 6, 2012

Use the Good China

I got married on Friday.  A "simple" backyard wedding.  HA!  Simple my ass. But, it didn't rain, it was hot, but not 100 degrees and it was nearly perfect, or so everyone thought.  We forgot to put out our thumbprint tree that Bud spent hours hand drawing so people could put their thumbprints on and I was planning on framing it.  Still trying to figure out how to drive around and have everyone leave their mark on it.  LOL 

We were surrounded by family and friends and I was bound to my best friend.  I guess you can't get more perfect than that. 

While shopping for this wedding, one detail we had was to buy china from thrift stores and use that as our plates (instead of paper).  It worked out really nice.  But finding all this stuff had me realizing that the good china I found for a song... the same stuff you get in your weddings, people spend hundreds on these place settings, and NEVER use it.  EVER.  Someone somewhere, maybe your grandmother, got this stuff and then left it in the china cabinet.  While I am happy to pick it up unused at a great price, I can look at it and feel like, "this is beautiful, I want to show it off somewhere" and of course, I don't want it to get broken!  I also look at the used stuff with lots of wear and think, "someone loved this."  It's still beautiful with all the wear. 

I feel as if it is like life.  A lot of people are afraid to take chances.  Afraid to love and get hurt, afraid to get involved with derby, afraid of failing at anything they really want to try.   They spend their days wishing it would all fall together, that some day something wonderful will happen and they will feel "right"... or like with the china, a special excuse to use it. 

So use the good china.  Use the good towels.  Use all your gifts.  Take chances.  You are worth a lot.  Don't spend your life up in a china cabinet or end up getting sold at the Salvation Army unused. 


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, friend. You're amazing ♥

    C from MN, maybe you remember?

    ReplyDelete