Sunday, September 16, 2012

We all need to feel loved, appreciated and ACCEPTED!

I have some amazing co-workers, I really do.  The other night I was working with someone I don't know real well.  She is super sweet.  She has lots of experience. She seems overwhelmed at times but don't we all?  No matter how much I try to help, I feel like it isn't enough.  I was having issues feeling like I wasn't helping enough, and it was causing me some guilt.   She does get the job done and she is super detailed oriented and caring.   But it does cause me stress to work with her.  I just don't know what to do!   Another co-worker came in and I said, "I just don't' know how to help".  Her advice was, "you can't help her, just let her do her thing." I was totally taken aback by that, because she is totally right.  Actually, it is helping her by "letting her do her thing."  What she needs probably isn't physical help, although sometimes we all do.  What she needs is acceptance of "This is how I do it!", it may not be the *best* way to go about the job, but that isn't my call.  My job as her co-worker is just to help give her the support she needs to live up to her full potential!

It was like an epiphany!  It isn't that people only need to feel loved and appreciated.  They need to be accepted for where they are, and who they are.  I can totally apply this to my life, my family and to roller derby.  There are some skaters that just aren't "there".  They are doing the best they can with the skills they have.  Mental and physical skills.  You can see the potential, they just have to get to the point where they are willing to step outside of their current way of thinking and decide they are going to do it another way.  That's totally ok.

Tonight we scrimmaged with another league and I had a good time.  I also see that I am in a different place when it comes to what my body and brain do when I am on the track.  It isn't bad for anyone.  I think I just need more practice, practicing with this group of girls.  But it was awesome watching what they can do!  It is important to also accept myself for where I am and I am happy to have the opportunity to play with such a spirited group!  I really worked on trying to keep my positive attitude going, I am really the type to think, "oh, I played like shit, I am not hitting as much as I want", but you know what?  I did do a good job with positional blocking.  And I left with my positive attitude in check.  not one time did I say, "I want to leave."  I did say to myself, "what was I thinking coming here?"  Instead of my usual continuing to beat myself up for being so stupid to get into this position, I kept saying all the things I wanted to gain from scrimmaging tonight.  It seemed like a much better plan and it really helped me!

We all want to feel loved.  We all need to be appreciated.  And we all need to feel accepted by those who are close to us.  If you have some crazy ass way of dealing, and it works for you, then GREAT!  If there is something I can do to make it better, then let me know, I am totally willing to help.  If I can do something better, please tell me.  I can't promise to do exactly that, but I can promise that I care enough to not be doing something that you might find to be jerky or rude.

Well, enough about all this... until next time!

XOXO,
Anja

3 comments: